Rania Elqadah's exhibit. A giant fish that is opened with an exposed ribcage.

Overfishing

Environment

There are currently 7 billion people living on 30% of the Earth’s surface, and all of them are dependent on the remaining 70%: the ocean. The ocean is the largest source of food in the world with fish as the main daily source of protein for 1.2 billion people. Yet, fishers are more and more frequently returning home with empty nets. 

 

Some scientists say that in the last 60 years, stocks of large fish have fallen by 90%. This is because the majority of the world’s fishing docks are extremely underpopulated. Long line fishing vessels deploy 1.4 billion hooks a year: 1.4 billion hooks each with a slice of fish hanging from them as bait. Typically shrimp trawlers throw 80–90% of the marine creatures caught back overboard. This means that for 1 kilo of shrimp, up to 9 kilos of other marine wildlife is caught and wasted. Scientists are warning that we are facing the collapse of all types of fish species in less than fifty years.

 

The reason for this? Overfishing.

Rania Elqadah

Rania Elqadah

raniaelqadah.com

Through consistently exploring function and encouraging interaction, her design work successfully visualizes this narrative. By distinguishing itself through the use of bold and unexpected ideas, her work elevates the multimedia forms she specializes in; illustration, layout, exhibition, and packaging. Rania Elqadah — thorough, ambitious, and unpredictably playful — sees design as a means of solving problems.